- BuildingDesign Construction Portal
  • Request Product Information
  • Connect With Us
  • Follow BuildingDesign on Twitter Connect with BuildingDesign on LinkedIn Become a fan on Facebook Follow BuildingDesign on Pinterest instagram

Wade International - Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the drop down links below to read a frequently asked question relating to services and products such as floor gullies, roof outlets and grease converters:

Expand All   |   Collapse All

Who can help me with a drainage problem?

For matters concerning content in our catalogues, email sales@wade.eu or telephone 01787 273999 for a member of our Customer Services Dept. to explain and give guidance on relevant sections / pages in our catalogues and on this website.

For complicated matters we recommend sending an email, with a drawing, to tech@wade.eu for review and answer by a member of our Technical Services Dept. at Halstead.

Where can I purchase Wade drainage products?

In the UK, specialist drainage merchants and branches of national chains of builders or plumbers merchants are able to supply Wade products to order. It is also possible to buy direct from Wade, however, without an account the goods will need to be paid for on a pro-forma basis. Please contact Customer Services Dept. for further details - email sales@wade.eu or telephone 01787 273999.

In certain overseas markets Wade products may be obtained from an appointed distributor who will have Wade catalogues and samples to show. Please email our Export Dept. for details export@wade.eu .

What are your standard carriage costs and delivery times?

Wade prices are delivered site in England and Wales only; they are exclusive of VAT which will be applied at the rate ruling at the tax point. Orders for less than £100.00 incur a freight charge of £10.00. Orders less than £25.00 also incur an administration surcharge of £5.00. Our standard carrier is a 3 to 5 day service.

Quicker delivery service and overnight service can be arranged at additional cost and is dependant on weight and destination; for information regarding a specific order and for services to destinations outside England and Wales contact our Customer Services Dept. email sales@wade.eu or telephone 01787 273999.

Sealing of threads - What should pipework and threads on Wade bodies be sealed with?

All outlet threads on floor gullies and roof outlets must be sealed with a good quality thread sealant or PTFE tape.

Threads on spigots and adaptors must be sealed with a good quality thread sealant.

Stainless Steel - Are Wade products available in a grade other than 304?

Yes, dependant on quantity and particular product. Contact our Technical Services Dept. for further information.

Stainless Steel Rusting - Will products made of stainless steel rust?

No because Wade use only certified grades of stainless steel which do not rust.
Red or orange coloured 'rusting' appearance on stainless steel is generally caused by contamination, the principal causes of which are:

1. Cutting, grinding or welding iron or steelwork, which can produce a ferrous dust that may deposit on and thereby contaminate stainless steel surfaces in the vicinity.
2. Contact with contaminated water, e.g. water that has been in contact with ferrous material.
3. Something made from a ferrous material has been left in contact with the stainless steel.
4. Cleaning with wire wool type cleaning pads which will leave traces of mild steel behind which will then corrode - giving the appearance of a rusting surface.
In all the above cases it is the ferrous contamination that is rusting, not the stainless steel. Some cleaning fluids/chemicals may, if left, cause staining that may be mistaken for rust. Check with manufacturer of cleaning agent for suitability for use with stainless steel.
For cleaning of 'rust' contamination, common fibre/nylon type scouring pads will generally remove any surface discolouration. (We are unable to make recommendations about specific cleaning products). As stated in our literature, 'Clean with soap and warm water, rinse and wipe dry. Under no circumstances treat with metal scouring pads, metal scrapers or wire wool as these will contaminate surfaces leaving rust spots'.

Concrete Floors - The plastic shower gullies (GV5 & GV6 series) are illustrated installed in timber decks,
are they suitable for use in concrete floors?

Yes. All Wade plastic and cast iron gully bodies can be installed in either a timber deck or concrete floor, although for timber decks some of the larger cast iron versions can be quite heavy and, thus, additional support may be required.

Security screws - What type of screw is used for the security screw option, suffix 'H'?

When the security screw option is selected (suffix 'H'), the standard pozi-drive screws are replaced with Pin Torx type screws. These screws have a 6 pointed star shaped recess with a small pin in the recess. Pin Torx wrenches are available from most good tool stockists or direct from Wade. Wrench sizes required are dependant on screw size as follows:
For M4 screws - TX20 Pin Torx wrench
For M6 screws - TX30 Pin Torx wrench
For M8 screws - TX40 Pin Torx wrench
Note, any products with a 5mm slot 'Streamline' grating will be supplied with Pin Hex screws instead of Pin Torx.

Traps drying out - How can I prevent a trapped drain / gully from drying out?

We cannot supply any easy/automatic way of preventing the water seal in a trapped drain assembly from drying out, but would suggest that where a drain is in an infrequently used area, giving rise to the risk, then a periodic check on the water seal is carried out and if necessary topped up manually by pouring water directly into the drain.

Head of Water - This is mentioned in the roof outlet flow calculator, what is it?

The Head of Water is the depth of water on the roof at the outlet position. The flow rate into the outlet increases with the depth and, therefore, the maximum permissible depth of water (head) will need to be determined in order to calculate the flow and thus the number of outlets required. Without some head of water there would, effectively, be no flow.

Syphonic - Are Wade roof outlets suitable for use with syphonic rainwater systems?

No, Wade roof outlets are designed specifically for gravity fed drainage systems.

Fasteners - Why do I sometimes have extra screws left over?

Because there are a number of different membrane thicknesses in common use, we supply two sets of securing screws for the membrane clamping collar, one short set suitable for use with thin membranes (i.e. less than 15mm thickness), and a longer set for use with thicker membranes.

BS EN 1825 - Do Wade Grease Converters comply with this or other standard?

No - because this standard applies only to grease separators, not to biological type grease converters. There is no standard covering grease converters. On account of this, demonstrating third party approval, in 1989 Wade became the first manufacturer of grease converters to be awarded an Agrément Certificate.

UK building regulations Part H, para 2.2.1, states 'Drainage serving kitchens in commercial hot food premises should be fitted with a grease separator complying with BS EN 1825 Pt 1, and designed in accordance with BS EN 1825 pt 2 or other effective means of grease removal.'

The underlined (by us) text is intended to permit the use of biological converters which would otherwise be prohibited.

Cleaning fluids - Will these affect the operation of a Grease Converter?

These fluids are usually diluted in use and as such do not present a problem. However chlorine, strong caustics, bleach etc., in a concentrated form must not be discharged through the converter.

Cooking oils - Will these affect the operation of a Grease Converter?

Wade Grease Converters are not designed to cope with cooking oils and, therefore, apart from small volumes associated with washing up residue, any cooking oils should be disposed of separately.
We recommend that cooking oils and waste food be prevented from entering the converter wherever possible.

Waste disposal units - Is it advisable to discharge into a Grease Converter?

Although not necessarily detrimental to the actual function of the converter, the fitting of a waste disposal unit is not advisable because it will necessitate regular cleaning out of the converter.
Note that waste from vegetable peelers must be filtered before discharging through a converter.
Grease Converters are designed to convert waste grease, not food solids, to water soluble products which can be safely flushed through the drain system.

Does the Non-Freeze Water Point meet current water regulations?

The Water Regulations Guide, published by the Water Regulation Advisory Scheme (WRAS), interprets the regulations and identifies how various systems should be installed. The Wade Water Point is a WRAS approved product and meets all the requirements of the regulations providing it is installed with a 'listed' double check valve or some other no less effective backflow prevention device on the inlet side of the unit, the main purpose of this being to prevent contamination of the water supply.
If the Water Point is to be used to connect to an irrigation system, then it may be necessary to combine the above double check valve with a pipe interrupter with atmospheric vent, dependant on circumstances and downstream fluid category. Consult the Water Regulations and/or the Guide for full details of the various types of installation.
The Water Point must also be so installed as to be readily accessible for examination, repair, replacement or operation.

Expand All   |   Collapse All